Are you looking for a rewarding summer opportunity to help others and also learn? Do you want to help us change the world by inspiring and empowering girls in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math? If so, then join our team!
In the summer of 2019, Design Connect Create will offer 10 two–week, immersive, hands–on day camps for female students who have not yet taken physics, but plan to take their first physics course this coming fall. Students who participate form a deep understanding of fascinating concepts and build confidence to advance and be successful in science. In addition, we will offer two three day engineering design camps for middle school girls. Learn more about our programs and dates/locations here.
DCC Camp Teaching Assistants are energetic, accountable, organized, and optimistic students who have interests in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). Our TA’s also have a genuine passion for working with and empowering young people. TA’s are patient, fun-loving and confident in their ability to motivate and assist participants.
The ultimate role of a TA is to support DCC Instructors in successfully implementing the program curriculum, and to provide a safe and memorable experience for our participants. They will also be responsible for the general safety, development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants in their group.
- Assist the Instructor(s) in setting up, administering, and wrapping up all labs and activities.
- Track inventory of camp equipment, keeping items organized and documented.
- Repack camp equipment for transport to the next camp.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including daily attendance.
- Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter.
- Delegate chores to maintain the cleanliness of the facilities.
- Keep track of participant dietary restrictions and allergies and ensure proper snacks/meals are distributed to each participant.
- Facilitate group activities for your participants during free periods. This includes time spent on the bus to field trips.
- Mediate any conflicts that may arise between members of your group, and report any notable concerns or incidents to Instructors.
- Know, understand, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines and emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Identify and respond to participant behavior issues, asking for support where needed.
- Plan to arrive no later than 8:30 AM each day. Camp starts at 9 and ends at 3. Normally, you should be able to leave no later than 3:30.
- Exhibit a strong work ethic, with a willingness to serve where needed.
- Participate in a training workshop prior to the camp.
- Report back to Executive Director any needs or concerns, and meet with the ED after the camp for a debrief.
- Share and represent our organizational values.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Planning to or currently majoring in a STEM degree.
- Able to lift boxes weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Previous camp participant.
- Female applicants preferred.
- TAs for the two-week physics camp will earn $1000
- Federal employment taxes including income taxes (based on your W-4), Social Security tax and Medicare tax will be deducted from direct deposit payments.
How to Apply
- Please prepare a cover letter addressed to Dr. Meagan Pollock, resume, and a list of three references with contact information.
- In your letter, please let us know what interests you in the job, why you think you’d be great at it, and which camps you are available for – see dates/locations here.
- If you have questions, please feel free to contact us with questions.
- Applications accepted until position is filled.